Training in the Street
To achieve the needs of the artists who want to play an influential role in the democratic transition, increasing awareness of citizenship and civil participation, but because the lake of communication between artists and the public street’s habitants and there is no clear ways to work by. This project seeks to fill this gap of distance between them through the establishment of training workshops with a part of the training between artists and people in the street together to formulate and drafting an artistic experience to be presented in interactive presentations and social artistic events in Streets.
“Training in the street” is searching for freedom in street and operate on training the artists out of the closed venues, which is initiative by (ElMadina for Performing and Digital Arts) after the revolution responding to the needs of artists and audience in Egypt’s streets. The idea works by using performing and digital arts in the Mediterranean to inspire people and encourage them to participate in the essential topics of civil society by participation of trainers from north and south of the Mediterranean.
The revolution began in street; people were training on freedom together and create techniques for expression by peaceful ways. Over time there have been attempts to distort street by lack of security, denying others and hatred of foreigners.
It was necessary to discover streets again through arts, to discuss with people the meanings of freedom that they asked for, not only to practice arts in street with people in public squares to reflects the idea of acceptance others, human rights and tolerance But for the future vision of arts, creating it with people and establishing of societal dialogue on the essential issues.
- Raise the skills of the artists involved in this new experience and encourage artists to work in the streets.
- Emphasis on the role of art in the changing and civil participation.
- Make the art as a part of people’s life and to open streets to transform public spaces into spaces for free expression.
- Contribution of arts and culture in the process of democratic transition.
- Raising civil awareness among the citizens especially the youth and women and the importance of youth through a series of workshops and events in the street.